Employment in Japan - SIC Employment in Japan - SIC

Employment in Japan

Employment in Japan after Graduation

“We would like to hire talented personnel regardless of nationality,” “We need personnel who can speak foreign languages and understand foreign situations,” “We would like to actively hire personnel with diverse backgrounds.” In Japan, there are a growing number of companies that operate in line with these statements, and the hiring of international students is increasing. However, it is still not easy for an international student to be hired in Japan. The JASSO website listed below contains the experiences of job seekers like yourself as well as job search event information; be sure to look through these materials and start your job hunt early.

Change of status of residence

International students have to have their status of residence changed from “Student” to “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services,” etc. in order to work in Japan. Please note the following points:

PointsAdditional points & Notes
Academic BackgroundGraduates of universities, junior colleges and colleges of technology.
Graduates of professional training colleges in Japan who have obtained the academic title of “diploma.”
Types of job to be engaged inEmphasis is placed on whether the jobs are related to their majors.
For instance, a person who is a fashion design graduate but opts to work as a computer programmer will have difficulty changing his/her status of residence.
SalaryInternational students must receive a salary equivalent to or more than a Japanese employee.
The actual situation of the employerThe companies international students plan to work for are required to have a stable management foundation and business performance.

What to do if you cannot find a job

Even if you are unable to find a job before graduation from the Japanese university※1 or professional training college※2, you can still continue to engage in job-seeking activities in Japan for one more year after graduation by changing your status of residence from “Student” to “Designated Activities.” The period of stay of “Designated Activities” is six months, and as a rule, only one additional six-month extension is allowed. If you fulfill certain requirements, however, you may continue looking for a job into your second year after graduation. For more information on procedures, please inquire at a regional immigration bureau.

  1. Includes junior colleges and graduate schools. However, this does not include preparatory Japanese language program students, audit students, credit-earning students and research students
  2. Limited to those who have acquired a diploma.

Buy now